blog, costume institute, fashion, fashion blog, fashion blogger, fashion style blog blogger, grunge trend, LA fashion blog, LA fashion blogger, Los Angeles fashion blogger, met gala, met gala 2013, met gala best dressed, met gala worst dressed, punk trend, spring trends, style
This week, fashion’s most influential people gathered under one extravagant roof at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala, aka The Super Bowl of the fashion world. Yes there are the Academy Awards, but no other event can bring out the array of designers, editors, models, celebrities and style icons that the Met Gala does (my invitation must have been lost in the mail…). This year’s PUNK: Chaos to Couture theme was particularly relevant to the ’90s grunge trend that’s recently been popping up in stores and magazine spreads (in case you’re wondering, I’m into it).
As with any red carpet event, a list of Best and Worst Dressed attendees is a must.
- Anne Hathaway in Valentino. I think she came as Miley Cyrus, but she looks awesome.
- Miley Cyrus in Marc Jacobs. Her skater boy hair actually works for the event and the dress is perfection.
- Dakota Fanning in Rodarte
- Mary-Kate Olsen in a Chanel gown and vintage Balmain jacket. I know I’ll probably be fought on this one, but no one does homeless-chic better than Mary-Kate. It’s so perfectly PUNK.
- Gwen Stefani in Maison Martin Margiela. The quintessential punk chick looks flawless.
- Anja Rubik in Anthony Vaccarello
- Cara Delevingne in Burberry Psorsum
- Minka Kelly in Carolina Herrera
- Amanda Seyfried in Givenchy Haute Couture
- Nina Dobrev in Monique Lhuillier
- Hilary Rhoda in Wes Gordon
- Allison Williams in Altuzarra
- Elizabeth Banks in Atelier Versace: those shoes!
- Karolina Kurkova in Mary Katrantzou
- Madonna in Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci. Stop acting like you’re 20 and put some pants on!
- Gwyneth Paltrow in Valentino. Apparently she missed the PUNK memo.
- Kate Upton in Diane von Furstenberg. BORING.
- Kim Kardashian in Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci. Her hair and makeup are lovely but the dress looks like a bedspread from grandma’s house.
- Nicki Minaj in Tommy Hilfiger. I expected more from Miss Minaj.
- Kristen Stewart in Stella McCartney. I don’t care if it is Stella, this jumpsuit is horribly unflattering.
- Jennifer Lawrence in Dior. This length is really tough to pull off, and the look is too polished and safe for the event.
- Cameron Diaz in Stella McCartney. Aside from the belt, this look really ages her.